Thursday, January 24, 2013

::hair::


       I had my year anniversary with these dreads on the first of this month. While, I was excited about that and them, I felt that change was calling.
     I started dreading my hair in October of 2011. I meant to do it to be set apart, to let go of that physical control of my hair, and to learn from them. About two months after I put in my first set, I decided that I wanted to start over, wanting to watch the change that happens with natural dreads.  I choose to let them dread up naturally for a number of reasons, like the fact that it is the least harsh on your hair, and that hair will dread up on it's own with time. Doing this method is why they are so loopy and unpredictable.
   The last year has brought so much for me and my family and these dreads are carrying all of that with them. Aaron's three(!) different jobs, a stint of unemployment, us selling a ton of our stuff in preparation to move, then not moving and re-settling into our home, Judah's extremely tough pregnancy and subsequent tough labor and birth, and all of that life in between are tucked into those locks. It's time to let all of that go.
   I've thought about cutting them all off, but that doesn't feel right to me. Brushing them out is proving to be long and hard, which is rather symbolic for what they/I have gone through. My mom is helping me brush just a few out every night, which is probably going to be routine for the next three weeks since there were over 50 of them the last time I counted. We started a few days ago and have brushed out a big total of 6 dreads. My hair is so soft, healthy, and long. I need more soft and healthy in my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment